Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Why NOT me?

I admit it- this is not something I just wrote today or even yesterday. I wrote it about a year ago but found it again today. Obviously this is a lesson I need to learn every single solitary day.

                                        Why NOT me?

I was talking to someone the other day about how my husband and I have always wanted to be foster parents, especially special needs children. “But” I said “our house would never pass the inspection because it is so old and broken down.” A few days later I was telling someone about my desire to go on a foreign missions trip. “But” I said “ I don’t know how I could ever afford that.” In the middle of my sentence I realized the hypocrisy of my words.
I tell my students and my sons and daughters on a daily basis that God can do anything, use them for anything, if they will only trust Him, be open to His leading and obey Him. We read stories of people who God has used for His glory whom men deemed “unfit” for one reason or another. Time and again we read how God has done great and mighty things through these unfit vessels.
Yet on almost this same daily basis I catch myself negating the power of Christ by saying or thinking “ I could never do that.” I say things like “I could never do that because ………….”I am too poor” “My health is not very good” “I am not smart enough.” “ I am too old” On and on it goes. I am the Queen of bad excuses.
 The reality is that I am believing that God works through everyone EXCEPT me.
John 15:16 says “You did not choose me but I chose you and appointed you to go and bear fruit-fruit that will last. Then the Father will give you whatever you ask in my name.”
Clearly if He has called me, if He has placed these desires in me He will go before me to clear my path.
As Romans 10:10-11 says 10For it is with your heart that you believe and are justified, and it is with your mouth that you confess and are saved. 11As the Scripture says, "Anyone who trusts in him will never be put to shame."
There is more to it than just believing. Missionary Gladys Alyward  didn’t just sit waiting for a boat to China. Even after being turned down for service she worked hard to achieve the goal she set for herself.  I believe God instructs us in His word to do the same.
1 Corinthians 15:57-58 says
“57But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ. 
58Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.”
Sure doesn’t sound like we are to be sitting around waiting for the boat to me.
And what about this:
2 Corinthians 8:10-12 (New International Version)
10. And here is my advice about what is best for you in this matter: Last year you were the first not only to give but also to have the desire to do so. 11. Now finish the work, so that your eager willingness to do it may be matched by your completion of it, according to your means. 12. For if the willingness is there, the gift is acceptable according to what one has, not according to what he does not have.
I know that I too often forget this. If I truly believe what I tell the children in my life day in and day out, I need to start by taking steps towards the desires I believe God has put in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment