Wednesday, May 8, 2013

and they're off!

Woo Freaking Hoo!
On a whim, never in a gazillion years believing I would actually be chosen, I applied to be part of the fattymustrun marathon challenge!
But I was chosen!!!!
I am so excited for so many reasons! First and foremost, I want to do this to improve my health. There is no getting around the fact that I am morbidly obese. It's right there on my medical chart and on my recent surgical report. "Patient is a 45 year old morbidly obese white female, age 44. Yuck.
Second, I have 3 darling grandchildren ages 1,2,&3. I want to be the cool grandma who rides roller coasters with them! Right now I can squeeze into coaster seats. barely.
Third, I work with kids with mental health issues and their families. Usually the mental health issues are just the tip of the mountain of problems they face. From poverty to drug abuse to physical abuse and mental health issues of the parents. They often feel that they have no control over anything in their lives. They feel that it doesn't matter what they do or how hard they try things will never change for them. I want to show them that through hard work and dedication things can change. I want to show them that if a 260lb Granny can run a marathon they can reach their goals!

2 comments:

  1. But what an unfortunate name for a marathon! :-O Can you safely run without hurting your knees or shoulder? Do they train you so that you've got the endurance to handle it? All I can say is, better you than me! I did one season of track in high school, and that will just have to last me. If I run, it will be towards the river because my hair is on fire, and that's it. I tease about running for pizza or chocolate, but I really wouldn't do more than a fast walk for those ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are off indeed! (says she from the couch).
    Glad to read your post!
    And Brenda, I have knee concerns too..but for me atleast, what is important is the moving towards the goal. know what I mean?

    ReplyDelete