Sunday, June 23, 2013

The Last Crusade

I was sitting here here watching a movie trying to figure out what I was going to write about tonight. I have not gone on my run yet so I don't have any entertaining stories about my ineptness as a runner/athlete. Today I visited my dad and it was exhausting.
The movie I am watching is Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade. Have you seen it? Indiana is on a final adventure with his father. My favorite of the series. I thought how much I would love to go on a final adventure with my dad.
Actually, I guess you could say we are on an adventure, but defintely not a fun or exciting one. 
You see, my dad has Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's is a mean and humiliating disease. Dad was diagnosed a few years ago but the disease has progressed rapidly since October. 
There are only glimpses left of the man who built a truck from the ground up with parts he scavenged from wherever. Or the man who walked for miles in a blizzard carrying bread,milk and eggs in burlap sacks to neighbors on his way home to us. Or the man who spent hours making a dollhouse for my sister and I and a barn for my brother for Christmas one year. Or the man who built a cradle for my babies.
And yet, in watching him, I am motivated. Alzheimer's can be exacerbated by factors such as alcohol use and obesity. In his day, Dad was an alcoholic. He didn't recognize it at the time but did in later years. He was also overweight for many years.
So I am motivated to take better care of myself and make changes that will reduce the chances of my having Alzheimer's. It is probably the hardest thing I have ever done but it is worth it if I can spare my children and grandchildren the pain that I am going through. 
Off for my run. I will try to be more entertaining tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. (((Tina))) Don't feel pressured to entertain your readers every day. You can teach, inspire, and motivate us with your honesty. Kudos to you for going out to run instead of putting it off till tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete