Wednesday, July 3, 2013

A few ways running has changed this fat girl

There are the obvious things like better fitting clothes, better stamina,extra energy, etc. 
But there are some changes I was not expecting. I didn't expect to have quite as much energy directly after a run. I expected to kinda be dead and ready to sit for a while. Turns out, I am ready to take on the world when I get done with a run. I have ADHD so I am ALWAYS going. I shudder to think how large I would be if I didn't have ADHD. But it turns out, I can be even more energetic! One day when I came home after a run and started doing stuff around the house my husband said "I didn't think it was possible for you to have more energy!" Cool!
Another-I have had pain in my left hip when I lay on that side for literally years. A few weeks after I started running again I noticed that pain was gone! Unfortunately, I have been a slacker for the last couple of days and the pain is back. Back to work.
I love the time running gives me to process and reflect on life in general. I find that I can work out problems while plodding along. 
But one of the coolest things to me is the response and encouragement I am getting from the people around me. I did have one negative reaction from my former cross country coach. He has seen me at my laziest. Not my super motivated-ness! 
Some friends and family were concerned for my health and rightfully so, I admit. I am notoriously clumsy. I have had 3 knee surgeries due to injuries. I wish I could say that at least one of these injuries was due to some heroic act. Alas, the first was from getting my daughter out of her car seat. The second was from trying to make my bed while recovering from first surgery and falling over a pillow and destroying the repair. The third, flushing a toilet. Talent, pure talent.
But mostly I have been encouraged and supported and cheered on. From the very buff lady who works at the gym to my coworkers to friends. 
One of my coworkers was forced to quit running this past October for health reasons. She checks in with me at least once a week. She told me this morning that she is living vicariously through me. She told me where to find a running shop that will check my stride and my feet and help me find the perfect shoe for me. She has given me advice on everything from chafing to training. She has also told me that she is going to be on my back throughout this process. She and my other coworkers have said they will be at the finish line of my marathon. That makes me happy. and motivates me even more than failing on a global scale.

2 comments:

  1. I'm surprised you are able to run after 3 knee surgeries! Way to go!
    I was also surprised by the energy I gained when I started running. It's lasting energy, too. I started CrossFit at the end of May, and I typically have energy for about 20 minutes afterward then I crash HARD! It's very different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am sure my doctor would not approve but I am to darn uncoordinated for zumba!

    ReplyDelete