Sunday, July 14, 2013

"Don't worry about the scale, just keep running."

Those were the words my doctor said to me on Friday. He has been my doctor for 18 years and he has never ever told me not to worry about the scale. 
In fact, he usually says quite the opposite. Things like " With your family history of heart disease, diabetes, arthritis, Alzheimer's, high blood pressure, cancer, lung disease,  so on and so forth, you need to lose weight. " and I would agree with him and tell him all the things I was "trying". But the results showed that my attempts were not lasting changes in my lifestyle.
Things have changed. For both of us. Here's a quick rundown of the changes for me.
1. I spent the last week of my grandfather's life on a pull out couch in his hospice room every night. Or sitting beside him holding his hand.
2. My father, who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's a few years ago, began to fail rapidly.
3. High school friends suffered heart attacks. 
4. A friend younger than me had a stroke.
5. My three beautiful grandbabies were born. I want to be around to play with them for years to come. I want to dance at their weddings.
It finally sunk through my thick skull that I am not invincible. I don't fear death, my eternity is settled. But I would prefer to go peacefully in my sleep. Or maybe performing some miraculous rescue or something like that. Something cooler than ways I have injured myself (flushing a toilet is one of more memorable injuries) 
The main thing that has changed for my doctor is that he has witnessed my resolve. We happen to go to the same gym and he has seen me on the weight machines and plodding around the track. He knows how hard I am working. He knows the advice he gives now is getting more than lip service. 
Friday was a victory.

3 comments:

  1. We are at that age when we see people our age having bear fatal if not fatal health issues and it really opens or eyes, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for checking out my blog the other day!
    And I agree with your doctor - JUST KEEP RUNNING!
    Exercise is the best medicine in the world :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for stopping by girls! I am still working on balancing home, work, exercise and blogging!

    ReplyDelete